*** Apologies for the side ways images, not sure how to alter them ***
The images above are mixed media experiments i created for a 2D project. The first two images are thick pen drawings which i have machine stitched into using orange thread.
The third image is just all machine stitched using an embroidery foot.
I prefer the last image as i feel it is more visually interesting and looks more expressive.
The very first image is the vermiculite block which i made and then i began to carve into it. Spiral Architecture inspired this design. I used a hack saw and a stanley knife to carve into the block. I found the block very easy to work with as its quite soft, its hard to get very fine detail as the block starts to crumble if you go to fine.
I will leave this to dry out and see how it drys, at the moment it has a stone look to it but i may experiment and paint a design on it using acrylic paint.
To create the work above, i started of by creating a two piece mould from a Ralph Lauren perfume bottle that i were no longer using. I then did a slip cast from the mould and was left with a hollow mould.
I was very pleased with how these turned out as it was my first time creating a two piece mould and doing a slip cast.
I am pleased with the small details that have come through, especially the Ralph Lauren logo.
These need to be put into the kiln and possibly paint one of them like the original perfume bottle.
Continuing with my out of kilter project i did some hard ground etchings in response to my primary imagery. The second is a ghost print. I wanted to have as little detail as possible, i added some cross hatching in the reflection on the mirror as i wanted this to stand our more than the mirror frame. I also like the space around the mirror. I will experiment with a larger piece of paper but keep the etchings plate the same size as above.
Above is a cellulose thinners transfer. I took an image of the blue ink drawings i have posted onto the blog previoulsy and i then printed it out (you have to use a laser yet printer). I covered my paper which i wanted the image to transer onto with cellulose thinners and then placed my printed out image on top of the paper and put it through the roller press. I peeled my printed out image off the paper and above it what i was left with. It gave the image a blurred effect which i like, it gives the image a mysterious feeling.